Ads 468x60px

Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

How to Paint a Store Bought Dresser



Ever since my roommate moved back home I’ve been rearranging the apartment for a new look and also moving things around in my room. During the process I came to the realization that none of my bedroom furniture matches. This was suddenly such an important matter I decided to repaint my vanity and dresser. This first tutorial is going to focus on painting the dresser.

The dresser is a cheap one that can be found at almost any department store. These dressers are typically covered in melamine paint and although they have a wood grain look, it still looks like a cheap piece of furniture.

What needs to be done first is to get a nice workspace. Be sure to lay down sheets or newspapers to prevent any mess on your floors. Take out the drawers (I’m assuming the dresser has previously been assembled), spread them out, and remove the handles. Using 80-120 grit sandpaper, by hand lightly go over the surface of the dresser and drawers. You’re only looking to remove some of the shine from the dresser and give something for your primer to stick to.

Once sanded, clean the dust off with a damp cloth and again once the surface has dried with a dry cloth. Any dust left on the surface can result in an uneven surface. When this is done you are ready to start priming.

I used Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 Primer after browsing the interweb and reading some reviews on the best primer. Apply two coats of primer to your dresser, following the dry time instructions on the container.

Now that your dresser is primed, you can apply your paint. I used Sico Furniture and Cabinets Paint in “Cloak”. I loved this paint but I would suggest that you wait the longest suggested time before applying a second coat and even longer if it is really warm in the room you’re working in. You’re going to need to do at least two coats but I suggest three. When the final coat was dry I let the dresser sit overnight just to make sure that everything was good and dry. 



With this new color the dresser is already going to look updated, but to complete the look I suggest also changing the handles. They are not expensive and it is really going to pull everything together. If you are going with new handles, install them now, put the drawers back in place, stand back, and give yourself a big pat on the back cause your dresser looks so good, no one can tell it’s from Wal-Mart.

Happy Painting!
Rebecca 
Before

After

No comments:

Post a Comment